Is removing ovary best option when diagnosed with large cysts?

It was discovered today that I have 2 large cysts on my left ovary. One of those being 8cm. I am meeting with my ob/gyn in the morning with hopes to convice him to remove the ovary. Is this in your opinion a good decision?
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get serum CA 125 evaluated. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The finding of an ovarian cyst causes considerable anxiety to women because of the fear of malignancy, but the vast majority are benign. Simple cysts are unilocular and have a uniformly thin wall surrounding a single cavity that contains no internal echoes. These cysts have a very low chance of being malignant. Most commonly, they are functional follicular or luteal, or less commonly serous cystadenomas or inclusion cysts. Complex cysts may have more than 1 compartment (multilocular), thickening of the wall, projections (papulations) sticking into the lumen or on the surface, or abnormalities within the cyst contents. Malignant cysts usually fall within this category, as well as many benign neoplastic cysts. Hemorrhagic cysts, endometriomas, and dermoids tend to have characteristic features ultrasonically that may help to differentiate them from malignant complex cysts. They most often appear as complex cysts. Premenopausal women with asymptomatic simple cysts smaller than 8 cm on ultrasound in whom the CA125 is within the normal range may be followed with a repeat ultrasound examination at 8-12 weeks. Persistent simple ovarian cysts larger than 5 cm and complex ovarian cysts should be removed surgically. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would suggest the following tests: 1) Serum CA-125 Levels 2) MRI of pelvis to see contents of cyst and density. Please see gynecologist with these reports who can guide you regarding various surgical & non surgical options of treatment. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal.