Is regular cow's milk consumption safe for a baby?

Hello Doctor, My daughter was born on 11.12.13 by cesearan and my wife is unable to give her breastfeed due to very low supply of milk. 1) We are giving her Amul Taaza milk by bottle. want to know is it ok to give or we should shift to formula feed milk. Please advice. 2) From last 3 days my daughter is crying in evening and night & my family physician has examined her and said she is having gas & prescribed her cyclopam. Is it advisable to give her Cyclopam drops at this age. 3) My wife is consuming granules & also tried pumping and various other techniques but milk supply is not improving. So please advise what should be done.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue Amul taaza, Amul cow milk or infant formu Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Thanks for posting query. 1, As there is less amount of breast milk you can give baby Amul Taaza milk or Amul cow milk. There are few infant formula are available so you can start that too. 2, Up to 3 months of age baby gets infantile colic generally in the evening or at night, this is a common problem. You can give Colicaid or colimax drops instead of Cyclopam drops. It is better Cyclopam to be avoided. 3, If your wife does not get proper milk, continue trying giving breast feeding otherwise secretion of breast milk will be stopped. For having good breast milk ask to take plenty of water, liquids, juices, green veggies. Give her high protein nourishing diet. You can continue breast vacuum pumps and other techniques. Give her multivitamin, iron supplements. She should avoid stress. I hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please write back. Ok and take care.
Follow-up: Is regular cow's milk consumption safe for a baby? 2 days later
Dear Sir, Thanks for your kind and helpful reply. My baby is now having Constipation from last two days, she is passing hard balls stool in small quantities around 5 to 6 times in a day. I have increased quantity of water in her milk. 1) Please advice medicines for constipation. 2) Is it advisable to give her boiled water for drinking purpose. 3) As per traditions running in the family from generations, my parents are giving my baby daily massage from massaging lady in which she pulls all parts of the body and massages them and baby cries endlessly during massage. Want to know is it necessary to give massage to baby as I fear during massage any muscle of baby can be pulled and it can hurt her. 4) Also my parents are of opinion that milk should be extracted from baby's breast so that her chest will not be heavy in future. Please advice is it ok to do that.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Give boiled water, avoid massaging, increase intak Detailed Answer: Hi, XXXX, Thanks for posting query again. 1, No medicine for constipation can be given at this age. Increase oral intake of baby in the form of milk, water which will clear the problem of constipation. 2,It is advisable to give boiled water for drinking purpose. 3, Going for massages and other joint or muscle movements are not advisable as this might create some problem for baby like sprain, muscle damage etc. 4. Extraction of milk from baby's breast is not at all advisable and has no scientific base. I hope, I answered your query. Now if you do not have further query or clarification, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Ok and take care.