Is regestrone sandoz effective to postpone the period?

Hi dr, my name is XXXXXXX and i am 28 yrs old. we are planning to go for a trip on 26th of this month . my period was supposed to come at 16th of this month but unfortunately it didnt come yet. i dont want to happned it now. i want to postpond it. please help me what i can do. is regestrone sandoz is effective to postpond the period. ?
Posted Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later
To delay your periods for a few days, synthetic progesterone preparations are recommended like medroxyprogesterone acetate or norethisterone (Regestrone) which should be started at least five days before the expected date of your periods as these medicines take at least 72 hours to produce their complete effect.
You need to continue these tablets until the date for which you want your periods to be postponed.
I would advise you to consult your gynecologist who after ruling out all the contraindicating factors will prescribe you the agent best for you.
Since your expected date has already passed, you need to rule out pregnancy before taking any such medicine.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.