Is radioactive iodine treatment advisable for hyperthroidism?

Hi, I have hyperthroid since 2009, I was put on Methimazole 20mg at the beginning, then lower the dose to 5mg, I had stopped the medicine after my throid get back to normal about four times, but after six months without medicine, it comes back. Right now, I feel hot, fatigue, hand shake, heart heat a little, my doctor asked me to have radioactive iodine treatment, but he said I will mostly become hypothroid after the treatment. I don't want to cause another problem as hypothroid has to treated lifetime. I want to try nature way, Do you have any recommendation?
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can try block and replacement regimen. Detailed Answer: Dear user, Hi! you have not mentioned the cause of your hyperthyroid state. if it is Graves' disease you can go for block and replacement regimen or if it is toxic nodule then radio ablation is the answer. true it will leave you hypothyroid for life but then that is less harmful then this recurring hyperthyroid state. regards!