Is prone to skin allergies and takes citrizine often. How to get rid of it?

doctor my wife is prone to skin allergies. she quite often takes citrazin tablet. how to get rid of these skin allergies. also my 5 years daughter sneeze a lot in morning. is this also some allergy. what is the solution.
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later

As far as I can make out from your description, it looks like your wife is prone to developing repeated episodes of urticaria.
Such a condition is called chronic urticaria.

Now I understand that your wife takes tablet cetrizine on and off and feels relieved with it. But this is not the correct way of going about it.

I would rather advise that you should go ahead and see a dermatologist so that she can be thoroughly investigate for the cause of such an allergic tendency.
Now we do have a long list of causes of such an allergic tendency.
Among the common causes, we have intake of certain drugs on regular basis like pain killers, any kind of chronic body infections like worm infestations, chronic respiratory system infections, abdominal or any other body infections. Certain blood disorders can also lead to such chronic itching.
But we also do have an idiopathic group which means that such a skin allergy can occur without any cause.

Now in any such patient, we have an array of tests which should be done atleast to rule out the common causes.
Also a proper course of antihistamines has to be given in such patients which is starting with a high dose of the drug and then slowly decreasing the dose as the allergy comes under control.

Now as far as your daughter is concerned, I feel that she has this allergic tendency called atopic tendency. But in children, it is very common and it tends to improve as the child grows up. But at the same time, be cautious so that if the child develops any kind of breathlessness, then you will need to see a doctor.

Hope it helps

If you have any other query, please let me know.

Dr Geetika Paul