Is pregnancy possible despite taking postpone 72 within 24 hours after sex?

Mar 2016

actually i had sex on17th XXXXXXX after 4 hrs i took one postpone 72 pills. again i had sex on XXXXXXX 18. will it lead to pregnancy?? actually my periods are irregular for past 2months. i took postpone 72 will it affect my periods??
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. First of all, taking Postpone-72 pill 4 hrs after unprotected sex gives more than 95% protection against unwanted pregnancy. Literally, it will give protection for next 72 hrs and in that case, you don't need to take extra pill on next day after unprotected sex. Second thing, you will get withdrawal bleeding within 7 to 10 days and next cycle will be irregular due to hormonal imbalance and mental stress. Poly cystic ovary, over weight, high prolactin level, pelvic infection, irregular diet, thyroid disturbance etc can also cause irregular period. Lastly, I suggest to undergo some investigation like ultrasound scan, hormone test, prolcatin level, thyroid profile etc to rule out underlying causes of irregular period. In addition, one pregnancy test is to be done 2 weeks after last sexual intercourse and repeat the test (2nd time) after 1 week to rule out pregnancy. Kindly, consult with gynecologist for proper guidance. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and practice safe sex in future. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Is pregnancy possible despite taking postpone 72 within 24 hours after sex? 24 hours later
Is taking postpone -72 quite often is the best way for birth control?? or can u please suggest some other way?? name the best pill for abortion??
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up queries. 1) NO, emergency pill (like Postpone 72) is not to be taken for regular purpose. It will cause hormonal imbalance and make the cycle more irregular. 2) If you want to involve in regular sex, then you need to take combined OCP or regular pill like FEMILON etc. It should be taken from D1 of menstrual cycle for continuous 21 days on scheduled time and then 7 days gap to get period. It has dual benefits - a) you will get regular period and b) highest protection against unwanted pregnancy (99.9%) after 1-month used. 3) Abortion pill shouldn't be taken without confirmation of pregnancy and self administration is NOT allowed as abortion is associated with several risk and complication. They also can cause ill health effect if there is no indication. You must consult with local GYNECOLOGIST after confirmed pregnancy for complete prescription, direction & uses, follow-up and in emergency purpose. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen