Is pregnancy possible after unprotected sex week before periods followed by contraceptive intake within 24 hours?

i had unprotected sex with my boyfriend one week before my periods. and within 24 hrs i took the emergency contraceptive pill. i believe after a week of the pill being consumed one gets vaginal bleeding. on the sixth day after taking the pill i got bleeding. but that day also happens to be my period date. so am confused if this bleeding is my period or pill effect. coz it seems like my period but am not sure. if this is not my period should i wait for another week before taking the pregnancy test? also since i had sex one week before my period starts was it a safe time to have unprotected sex? My period date it 22nd of the month. but some times it is delayed by a day or two. can you also tell me when is a safe time to have unprotected sen in my cycle? than.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are unlikely to be preg, do Urine preg test 10 Detailed Answer: Welcome to health care magic. You had sexual intercourse with your boyfriend just before 1 week to your expected periods. You have also taken emergency contraceptive pills well in time so it is very unlikely that you might get pregnant. The emergency contraceptive pills cause a disturbance in the rhythm of sex hormons in the body so time of menses can be delayed or preponed by a week's time. It seems you had your regular periods on regular date so there is no reason to be worried. Still you can get a urine pregnancy test after 10 days of the bleeding. I hope it will be negative only. To calculate the safe period you need to provide your average cycle length and date of start of the present menstrual cycle. I hope the advice will be helpful for you.
Follow-up: Is pregnancy possible after unprotected sex week before periods followed by contraceptive intake within 24 hours? 24 minutes later
my period date is 22nd of every month and it lasts for 4-5 days XXXXXXX can you tell me the safe period for sex to avoid pregnancy.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 26 hours later
Brief Answer: it can be calculated like this Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome back. Ovulation occurs 14 days before your next period. 3 days before & 2 days after ovulation is the fertile period. Sexual activity is safe in remaining days except fertile period. I hope your query has been answered. Regards