Is pregnancy advisable when suffering from cardiomyopathy?

A woman has cardiomyopathy with an ejection fraction of 20 to 25% and she becomes pregnant. What are her chances of mortality during pregnancy and when should termination of the pregnancy be considered?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: terminate after stabilizing the patient Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for choosing Healthcaremagic. Considering her history and low ejection fraction it is advisable not to continue the pregnancy due to risk of maternal death, there is a high risk of overt heart failure occurring during pregnancy, irreversible deterioration in ventricular function, and fetal loss. Pregnancy should be terminated after stabilizing the patient. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!