Is pramipexole used for charley horse in legs and painful spasms in groin area?

My doctor ordered pramipexole for my charley horse in legs and terribly painful spasms in groin and legs and feet. When I questioned that he said the the spasms are a sort of restless leg syndrome and that this medication has some muscle relaxant in it. Since I started taking it, I have had more frequent spasms and I go to the bathroom approximately every half hour. Naturally I don't get a lot of sleep and it shows. Is this medication used for spasms also?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Pramipexole is used in restless leg syndrome Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Pramipexole is recently developed nonergoline, selective Dopaminergic 2 and 3 receptor stimulator. Its primarily used in Monotherapy for Parkinsonian disease. Its proved quite effective in management of "Restless leg syndrome". It helps in spasm and pain management It does not produce any Urinary disturbance. The Increased frequency of urination ( i assume you meant increased frequency of urination when you mentioned increased visit to bathroom)in your cases is unlikely to be due to this drug. I would suggest to rule out urinary tract infection as possible cause of your symptoms. Do get back to me if you need any assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD Consultant Clinical Pharmacologist
Follow-up: Is pramipexole used for charley horse in legs and painful spasms in groin area? 20 hours later
Wouldn't flexeril be more helpful to stop the pain and spasms in my legs?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Flexeril can be tried Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings The management of restless leg syndrome involves trying various Pharmotherepeutic agents. As majority of time etiology of Restless leg syndrome is unknown, it is better for the patient to be on drug to which the individual has responded. If your symptoms are not controlled, Flexeril can be tried which is Skeletal muscle relaxant. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD