Is positional vertigo related to lumbar fusion surgery?

I am having bouts of positional vertigo 3 months post lumbar fusion surgery. Could this be related to my surgery? I've never experienced this before.

Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Lumbar fusion surgery is done at the level of lumbo sacral vertebrae. Positional vertigo is a problem commonly seen due to cervical spondylosis or vertebral spur formation which produces compression of nerves coming out from the cervical vertebrae. Hence may not be related.

It can happen from normal wear and tear or changed joint alignment (due to an injury, or when your muscles are tense or in spasm, or from poor spine postures that have been used over the years). A physical therapy program to help with your posture and muscle balance can improve the positional vertigo.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.