Is phentermine is a controlled substance?

Dec 2014

Yes, can you tell me if phentermine is a controlled substance? I am now taking Adderal as an adult - the generic form and it seems to work well - LOTS of singular thinking focus, no massive mind wandering. However it seems to wear of very quickly (again, can only afford the generic form). Does the brand Adderal metabolise differently than the generic? I've noticed generics tend to 'not work as well' as brand. Exampe: Klonopin - the generic wears off very quickly. The active ingrediant may be the same, but the fillers / binders are very different.
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 32 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Phentermine is a controlled substance in Schedule 4. It means that it has some abuse potential, in contrast to Adderal which is a Schedule 2 which is a highly addictive category.It is mainly used in anti obesity medicines and it is a stimulant drug which is an appetite suppressant.

There may be differences in metabolism between generic and branded Adderall. This is due to the fact that the branded drug is subjected to various quality control measures and the release of drug from branded preparations is sustained while in generic it may be unpredictable. So if cost is not a concern then branded will be always better.

Phentermine is a stimulant drug and it is similar in action to amphetamine drug adderal but is less in potency. I would recommend you to change the medicines only under supervision of your doctor.

If you have more questions you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Follow-up: Is phentermine is a controlled substance? 11 minutes later
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, thank you for answering my previous question (kind of a 2-parter). Generics just don't seem to work as well. Cost unfortunately is an issue, my doctor seems tired of prescribing Adderal - tried Ritalin, Concerta, Adderal works the best and it's so incredibly wonderful to have a single, clear, focused thought. Can this be ordered via an internet doctor somehow. I think my doc is kind of giving up on my and for most of my life I thought I was stupid and was forever accused of not paying attention (I don't have hyperactivety - my mind has always wandered endlessly). If he takes me off it, I'll revert back to the guy unaware of conversations, meetings, etc. I'm sorry it's controlled substance, but for most of my life I was forever told I need to try harder, this helps so much. I feel normal. Can an on-line doctor prescribe and have it delivered? I'm not even sure if you can answer that, just asking. Again, Thank You for answering my previous question. XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 25 minutes later
Hello again

I can understand your concern and I can understand that cost is really an issue. Stimulants are needed in cases of poor attention span and poor concentration. But unfortunately online prescription for Scheduled substances is not possible. Chemists and drug dispensing agencies would not accept online prescription. The drug is also not available online. Try to consult your doctor and make him aware of your problems.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Follow-up: Is phentermine is a controlled substance? 13 minutes later
Again, thank you for your answer. I kind of understand the laws of on-line pharmacies / doctors, but I wasn't aware they couldn't be shipped. Hopefully my doc will work with me a little better (I do like him). Between the Fior w/codeine for migraines, clonazapam and taking Adderal, I think I'm not exactly his favorite patient. Unfortunately all three are controlled substances and I know many are abused, but they have worked wonders for me - especially Adderal. To have a clear mind and remember everything that's happened for weeks is so wonderful. Have tried the span of preventive migraine meds (had spinal tap, CAT, saw every kind of doc to rule out something wrong elsewhere in my body - all came up zip -but the pain was excruitating). It's the only thing that works (not even OxyContin prescribed by a pain specialist worked - made the pain worse). I understand my doc's delima, he's explained about the DEA coming down hard on all doctors. It's frustrating, was feeling like a REAL person with a mind that worked and it may all come to an abrupt end. If so, it was nice feeling 'normal' for awhile. Again, Thank You for answering my question. Have a good day, XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 49 minutes later
Hello again

Any of controlled substance can't be sold online.
It's my pleasure to answer your question.
Have a good day and wish you a good health.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD