Is persistant swelling and numbness for over a week in finger after a cut, normal?

I cut my finger1weeks ago and it's swollen and numb is that normal?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No worries, its innocuous Detailed Answer: Hello there! Thank you for asking. My name is Dr S Khan and i would like to help you with your concern for the numbness and swelling for the finger recently cut. Mr XXXXXXX your finger injury is one amongst 12 million which we doctors face all around the globe in a year. so you are not alone in this and there is nothing to worry about. Now the age of 34 with male gender and no associated morbidity makes your fingers numbness and swelling innocuous and part of the plan of recovery by human recovery mechanisms.All you need is the rest for the finger and avoid its excessive use like typing or piano playing or writing etc. So all you need is some topical analgesics and vasodilators for increasing the recovery. Your finger is trying to heal by primary intention leaving no scar, and that needs a little inflammation and numbness so perfectly natural, And if the wound is too deep and unable to be healed primarily some scar will be left called heal by secondary intention. so My advice Don’t worry. keep the dressings and cleaning of the wound 12 hourly and visit the nearby primary care provider to sort out any infection or complication which from my perspective is almost impossible. The provider will decide if the depth is enough to involve a plastic surgeon for a graft or just let it heal on its own by just making sure of aseptic environment and proper care which is an easy job and should not be a problem. Mr XXXXXXX Hope you got what you are looking for. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask other wise i request you to kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. Good Luck and take some very good care of yourself. Regards Dr. S Khan
Follow-up: Is persistant swelling and numbness for over a week in finger after a cut, normal? 4 hours later
One more question when I change the bandage there is a little yellow discharge is that normal also?
Brief Answer: Discharge not normal, sounds pus and delayed heali Detailed Answer: Hello again XXXX! As i mentioned your time of healing is delayed already might be due to the depth of the wound. the yellow discharge makes it look like spetic and it appears that the wound has developed pus so no way yellow discharge is normal, I recomend culture and sensitivity of the discharge and seeking the PCP help nearby to help you better. Hope you get the relief which i am sure you will once you do as you are directed. Good Luck Mr XXXXXXX and don't forget to close the discussion if the queries are finished. Regards Dr S Khan