Is palm jaggery good for cancer patient?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Is Palm jaggery is good for Cancer parents , she underwent Cancer surgery , chemo and radio therapy with a baddar sugar after this treatment
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.

Palm jaggery ( vellam), is used in Tamil Nadu in home made sweet dishes.

Palm jaggery has got low glycemic index. Food items with low glycemic index does not increase the blood sugar level dangerously high. So it is said to be good for diabetics ( those with high blood sugar).

Also palm jaggery has other benefits like high calcium and iron.

So I would say, you can give palm jaggery to her after informing her doctor.

However there is no direct link if it really helps a cancer patients. I would safely say that there are no studies done with respect to palm jaggery.

I hope that answers your question.

If you dont have anymore questions, kindly accept the answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Is palm jaggery good for cancer patient? 14 hours later
As i mentioned she has a border sugar ( not every high) , can i assume since this is good high sugar is is ok for the border levels also?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later

There was some typographical error in your previous post and I took "baddar" sugar as high sugar.

Whether it is high or low blood sugar, palm jaggery does not increase the blood sugar level to the extent white sugar does.

Therefore, she can consume it after discussing with her doctor.

If you do not have any more questions, kindly accept the answer and rate this answer.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini