Is painless red blister on my lip a sign of skin cancer?

I woke up today with a painless dark red blister on my lip. It bled when I scratched it, and the bump is gone, but my lip is discolored. Any idea what it is or what might have caused it? Is it a sign of skin cancer?
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. What you are describing sounds suspicious for a vesicle of a cold sore, which is caused by a virus the majority of people have. It is also very likely that the bump could be secondary to some sort of local trauma (e.g., burn, bite, scratch) that may have easily gone unnoticed. The discoloration should resolve within a few weeks, especially if the area is not exposed to excessive sunlight or temperatures. If the area does not heal, if more bumps appear on your lips, or if there are any areas/marks anywhere on your skin that are concerning or are changing in size/color, it would be wise for you to ask for a skin examination from your medical doctor or even for a dermatology consultation. Thank you again for submitting your question and please let me know if there any further issues. Dr. G
Follow-up: Is painless red blister on my lip a sign of skin cancer? 9 hours later
I followed up on this, and it seems that this is known as a venous lake. That would be a very different diagnosis.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: I absolutely agree with you. For this reason I would recommend that you visit with your local primary care physician. If this is a venous lake you might want to talk to your doctor about appropriate management or observation. If your doctor agrees that this could be a viral skin infection medication might provide you benefit. thank you again for sharing your health care concern with me. you would like to send a picture this might make our discussion even more fruitful. I hope you continue to enjoy good health in the near future. Sincerely, Dr. G