Is painless mouth ulcer a sign of HIV?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hallo Doctor! When i was in amsterdam on 6th XXXXXXX this year i had unprotected oral sex and protected vaginal sex with a prostitute . and after four days i had a small painless mouth ulcer inside my lower lip since it appeared i could not sleep and it has dissapeared today. i have seen in some websites that it is an indication of acute hiv. i am really worried and having sleepless nights. what are my chances of contacting hiv?. should i be worried regarding the ulcer?. or is it any std.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thnaks for the query. The risk of HIV transmission by oral sex is very low and you should not be concerned. Of course, it is possible but chances are less than 0.5 per 10 000 exposures. so this is almost negligible. Other std can be transmissed but these usually manifest with genital changes,lumps,rash or penis discharge. Acute retroviral syndrome is rarely seen after only 4 days. Also symptoms of ARS are nonspecific and usually it has nothing to do with hiv. Mouth ulcer can be caused by various conditions including stress, resopiratoty infections, mouth injuries,irritation and many others. HIV is last thing to think of. So just dont worry. If you have any doubts about her HIV status you can do Hiv testing after 3-4 weeks,but I dont think it is necessary at this point. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards