Is pain in the arm due to heart attack or muscle problem?

hello, I have jolting left arm pain now and then, over the last hour, feels almost like a shock. located about mid arm on top. Slight chest discomfort comes and goes and aching shoulder. been raking and working in the yard over last few days. heart attack symptoms or muscle issue? Went to ER 1 year ago for similar symptoms all was negative. Not sure what to do.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 31 minutes later

I suggest you to please visit your doctor. In any case heart problem needs to be ruled out first. One should not take a chance.

Any left arm pain, along with some discomfort in chest, more on some physical work is to be taken as cardiac pain, until proved otherwise. We cannot afford to take chances.

You need to undergo routine physical examination, blood pressure measurement, as well as an EKG to look for the circulation in heart.

After this cardiac work up turns negative, then only one can think of a muscular problem.

There could be a possibility of some nerve compression at cervical level, which can be due to age related degerative changes. This can be cleared by examination and X XXXXXXX if needed.

Just visit ER and get your check up done.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Is pain in the arm due to heart attack or muscle problem? 14 minutes later
Hello, ER now or wait until morning. it's 1:00 am here
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Good to hear from you again

You should go to an ER now, do not wait till morning.

Thanks for the update.Please XXXXXXX the doctor and complete the examination.

Will be waiting to hear from you again.