Is pain in leg,hips,neck with hand numbness an indication of nerve damage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I was in an auto accident and I have radiating pain in my left side (waist), sharp stabbing pain in my lumbar left side, pain down my right leg, pain in both my hips, shooting pain in my right heal, neck pain with tingling and numbness in my left hand. is this nerve damage? what type of doctor should I see for treatment? MRI done and states nothing wrong but arthritis and a bulge with no significant stenosis.
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You need to consult an orthopedician. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The symptoms that you are having are due to nerve root compression caused by the bulging discs in your spine. This can be related to the injury you had or a muscle spasm in the area. You need to consult an orthopedician. The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination. Meanwhile you can follow these measures: - If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves. - Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments. - While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you. - Avoid lifting heavy objects. - Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist after the pain subsides. - Avoid exercises in times of pain. - Improvise your posture while sitting. - Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Is pain in leg,hips,neck with hand numbness an indication of nerve damage? 32 minutes later
Thank you so much for your response. I have been prescribed naproxen 500mg and methocarbamol 750mg from a PCP Dr. meds not much help. told to see ortho. I need a med that is helpful with the pain but not too strong for me to work and drive. any suggestions on that? I will be making an appointment with an ortho on mon.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Do take some rest. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. In addition to medicines the main treatment is rest and hot fomentation in the area. You need stronger prescription muscle relaxants. Avoid driving and sitting for long durations till then. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards