Is pain in buttocks related to epididymitis?

Jul 2016

Hello Doctor, I was Diagnosed with Epididymitis 10months back. I have tried antibiotics and still had epididymal and buttock pain. When showed the symptoms to a doc, he said that the epidiymitis must be pushing a muscle , thus causing pain in the buttock. 2 months back after taking metronidazole for first time, the epididymal pain along with the buttock pain were gone with in 3-4 days. Currently I am experiencing just the buttock pain. I don't have any pain in my epididymisis. So was wondering what could be the cause of this. Thanks
Posted Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer: This could be referred pain. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have been diagnosed to have epididymitis and had pain in epididymis along with pain in buttock.which was relieved after taking Metronidazole. Now you have pain only in the buttock.Truly speaking it is very difficult to explain correlation between pain in epididymis and buttock simultaneously.This could be due to coexistence of two different pathologies simultaneously( epididymitis and in buttock.) I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem 1) Did you sustain injury to your buttock or back bone before getting pain in buttock and infection of Epididymis ? 2)Did you have difficulty on walking ? or making movements of the hip.? Metronidazole has anti bacterial action hence has helped you in combating the infection of Epididymis and relieving the pain. As regards pain in buttock I would suggest you to consult Neurologist for clinical evaluation to rule out any neurological cause for pain in buttock. In the mean while take anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily .This will help to get relief from pain in buttock. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you . Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is pain in buttocks related to epididymitis? 34 minutes later
1) No, I did not have any injury to my buttock. 2) I can walk and make movements freely. It feels like muscle is tight, pulled only on my right, where I got epidymitis. I have looked online and they said there is connection with epididymis and Psoas Muscle. I have pain in the psoas muscle area, and the fact that I lost buttock pain along with epididimytis, made me think that is the cause. Do you think that the pain radiating in my right buttock is not caused by epididymitis?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is due to spasm of the muscle. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for feed back.The pain in the buttock could be a referred pain do to irritation of nerve and due to spasm of the Psoas muscle .It is not directly related to Epididymitis. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is pain in buttocks related to epididymitis? 36 minutes later
The pain is intermittent, so on average how long will it take for the spasm to go away by its own. Do I need to do any exercises or medication to relieve it. Thanks Also I got epididymitis 3 days after my sexual exposure. I had it for 9 months and with metronidazole it was gone away. Does this suggest that my epididymitis was caused by STD (Trichomoniasis) and it has gone away. Because it was chronic could I expect recurrence or not ? Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer: The pain should subside with pain killers. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for follow up. The pain should subside with pan killers like Diclofenac. The forward and backward bending exercise will help to reduce the symptoms. The epididymitis that you have can not be STD it may be simple bacterial infection. Ut is unlikely to recur again. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is pain in buttocks related to epididymitis? 41 hours later
Hi Doctor, I have recently noticed a single benign on my scrotum. Its appearance had changed a lot in month. I have attached 3 images of it. The first 2 of were pictures at 30 days after a I noticed it and the last one was at Day - 9. Could you please take a look at them and let me know, what you think of it. Thanks
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer: It is a Sebaceous Cyst. Detailed Answer: Hello hanks for fresh query. Based on he photograph that you have posted it looks to be Sebaceous Cyst.The scrotal skin is rich in sebaceous glands and hence prone to get more sebaceous cyst due to accumulation of sebum beneath the skin. Normally they fade away without treatment however they need to be treated if increase in size or get infected. Please consult qualified General Surgeon for clinical evaluation and further treatment. You may need to get it excised under local anaesthesia. Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.