Is pain between knee and ankle from neuropathy due to diabetes?
User rating for this question
I have a pain in my leg half way between my knee and ankle. It goes to my foot. It feels like my leg is asleep (like when your foot is asleep) but it also hurts. I am diabetic and wonder if it could be nerothapy (can't spell) from diabetes or if it is pain from having back problems (two surgeries 2012.) On my shin.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: likely diabetic neuropathy Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Based on the symptoms that you have described, it is possible that it is related to your diabetes. Neuropathy is a common complication of diabetes. It can affect parts of the nervous system of the body including the nerves in the limbs. It is said to have affect the glove and stocking areas of the limbs. The symptoms related to neuropathy can vary, they can be negative ( reduced feelings or sensations such as the numbness/foot falling asleep) or positive ( such as pain, tingling, burning, shock like sensations, prickling). There is medication available that can help to reduce the pain and the abnormal sensations. Some examples are amitriptyline, tegretol, gabapentin, lyrica, the SSRI antidepressants. Though the above mentioned medications are all either antidepressants or anti seizure medications, they are also used for other reasons such as nerve related pain. It would be best to be assessed by your doctor to determine what would be the best treatment for you. In some cases of diabetic neuropathy , if there is tight control of the blood sugars, they can be mild improvement of symptoms. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
People also viewed
- Diabetic neuropathy back pain
- Tingling sensation in ankle do i have diabetic neuropathy
- Pain treatment for diabetic neuropathy
- Blood group matching before marriage
- Will zostrix diabetic foot pain treat diabetic peripheral neuropathy?
- Hydro cortisone valerate cream side effects
- Can i smoke marijuana before ultrasound
- Test drive unlimited 2 editor ps3
- Side effects of flagyl and cipro
- Isosorbide mononitrate 30 mg er tabs
- Metallic taste in mouth behcet's disease
- Loratadine side effects loratadine 10 mg
- Diabetic neuropathy and fever
- Crampy pains behind and above my belly button
- Precautions before masturbating