Is orange mucus in stool related to laryngitis and sinus problems?

Hi I've currently got laryngitis and sinus problems therefore mucus is going down my throat. The last couple of days I've had yellow/ orange mucus in my stools, is this connected to my viral infection or something more sinister. Thanks YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Seems to me like an unrelated issue Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The yellow-orangish stool as shown in the attached image could have another cause to it altogether. I would also like to ask if you have been prescribed any medications for the laryngitis or sinus issue? Or are you self-prescribing on any over-the-counter medication? I would also like to ask if you have had a history of any gastric issue in the past? Like for example: pain abdomen, abdominal bloating, heartburn, eructation, vomiting, headaches, hunger pain, nausea, etc. Also could you rate your eating habits (like eating meals on time, not slipping meals, quantity, quality of food, etc.) on a scale of 0 ti 5 for me, 5 being very healthy and 0 being extremely poor. The reason why I ask these questions is in order to be able to find the cause for the presentation you are currently experiencing. Looking forward to receiving your kind response ma'am. In the meantime, do keep yourself well hydrated, and avoid consumption of oily/fatty/fried or spicy food. Please also avoid self-prescription of any medication, if you are currently doing so. Wishing you the best. Take care.
Follow-up: Is orange mucus in stool related to laryngitis and sinus problems? 9 hours later
Hi, in response to your questions, I haven't been prescribed any medication for my ENT issues but I have taken odd paracetamol and ibuprofen which is no new medication. I have recently changed my pill from the XXXXXXX pill back to microgynon 30 after breast feeding. Also I am currently taking fluoxetine, which have recently gone from 20mg - 40mg. I have taken this medication roughly 2 yrs however in the past 10 years probably been on anti depressants 6 out of the 10. I suffered from any eating disorder through my 20's and now still have anxiety problems. I have suffered with IBS say 2 yrs ago for a rough time span of 10 months, no surprise with the above info! I suffered from bloating, tummy pains, constipation and diarrhoea. I have recently had loads of headaches, i put this down to lack of sleep etc with my first child who is 7 mths. My eating habits aren't good at the moment, I've had a recent onset of anxiety, where I have problems sleeping, eating etc therefore meals on time -1 Not slipping meals-0 Quantity-2 Quality- 4 I eat plenty of veg not many carbs in the evening, I normally drink loads of water but recently as I've felt sick and anxious etc I haven't. I am aware my old habits of restricting food to gain control is creeps back. Many thanks
Brief Answer: Suspecting GIT condition requiring colonoscopy Detailed Answer: Hello once again XXXXXXX And thank you so much for the detailed information, I really appreciate all the help. Well, I would attribute your symptoms to IBS first hand; but this would be an assumption as you have not experienced symptoms of IBS in quite sometime. Although I should let you know that IBS is a condition that progressively worsens with time, and so it could quite be possible that you are experiencing a relapse of the IBS. But this of course will require a confirmation. I also understand that you are under a lot of stress, and with the new addition into the family, a lot has to be taken care by you. I would advise a colonoscopy at your earliest convenience to find the cause for such a presentation as I am suspecting some gastrointestinal tract (GIT) condition, especially with the positive history provided by you ma'am. I also understand that you are going through a lot now, and may not have time for the same. But if you can find time to check on your health, that would be great. Although, if you do not, try to work on regularizing your eating habits, bowel habits, get more sleep, try to avoid as many medications (by avoiding the unnecessary ones) and try to eat as healthy as possible. But as you know, only an investigation would help us visualize the interior of your GIT and accordingly reach a diagnosis for the same. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me about any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.