Is operation suggestive for disk problem?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
sir iam facing ls5 disk problem, can i go to operation,my age around 33 years.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can go for surgery. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You seem to have a prolapsed inter vertebral disc, rightly at L5S1 region as you suggested or maybe a level higher. This disc may be compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. Having known this basic anatomy, you must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours on computer, inappropriate sitting posture, etc. I doubt the acuteness of the situation and believe its been there for sometime and has come to a stage with slightly advanced features like burning parasthesias. I hope you haven't noted muscle weakness or loss of sensations in any particular part of leg; because if you have, you should seek immediate help. The medications will relieve pain and help muscles to relax. Physiotherapy shall also help a lot, especially exercises that strengthen your back. Kindly note that exercises only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. If you don’t get better with these treatment , You can go for surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care