Is onko-sure test reliable? Should I go for it?

During one of the screening health check up camps, we were informed about a test called OnkoSure which is a single test for screening multiple cancers.

Is this reliable and whether one should go for it?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 26 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

Onko-sure is a blood test which detects fibrin degradation products and can detect some cancers early. It is more effective than other methods to detect colon cancer recurrence after treatment and is approved by USFDA for the same.

There are some other studies which show it is effective in early detection of other cancers like ovary and stomach. However, it has not yet been tested in large population based trials to see whether it can prevent deaths from cancer. Unless that is done, it cannot be recommended to the general population for screening purpose.

But if a certain individual understands the pros (early diagnosis) and cons (false positives causing unnecessary further testing and worries), he/she can certainly go for it.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further follow-up queries, if any.