Is numbness in neck and aching pain in left arm caused due to herniated disc?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I have went to my doctor a couple times in regards to my neck (left side) going numb along with my left arm aching. He sent me for an MRI which showed herniated disc which is common for my age (56) the issue is that it is not on the same side as where my neck problems are. I also have discomfort under my left armpit along with soreness below my breast bone along the left side and over the top of it as well. I have also went and seen the eye doctor twice because my vision is actng weird -blury and my eyes are allways tired an feeling like they are dry. Eye doctor said nothing wrong with my vision ( I do wear glasses) I should also point out that I had a ruptured spleen a couple years ago for no apparent reason and I wonder if this is all tied together. I also forgot to mention I seem to get sharp,quick pains under the left side of my breast bone as well. It comes from know where and it happens 4 or 5 times a day. Maybe this area is not my breast bone but my rib cage. Basically, underneath the bone structure right below my left nipple.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Pain caused by hernia;consult hematologist too Detailed Answer: Hi, The pain you are referring to is rated to the radiculopathy due to herniated disc. It is normal for the pain to be at the opposite site of hernia due to the anatomical properties. As you have conducted an MRI and hernia was the only diagnosis, (i.e. not remarkable for spleen problems), then, such discomfort and pain is not related to earlier spleen rupture but only due to compression the hernia is putting on the roots (radices) of the nearby nerves. I'd suggest to : - use anti-inflammatory drugs (orally and locally) - to apply warm clothing to the pain and back area - do massaging of the back (physiotherapy) At the end, I'd also suggest to consult a hematologist to exclude blood disorders that may be associated with spontaneous spleen rupture and discopathies as in your case. All the best! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: Is numbness in neck and aching pain in left arm caused due to herniated disc? 18 hours later
the MRI was only conducted on my neck and not where my spleen use to be. So your telling me that the discomfort and sharp pains Im having in the general area of where my spleen use to be could be caused by the herniated disc I have on the opposite side in my neck.
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Segment C4-C7 of spinal cord innervating organs. Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following up. Please take note that the nerves passing through the internal (abdominal) organs derive from the segment C4-C7 of the spinal cord. Thus, this may explains the pain you have. However, to identify/evaluate the spontaneous rupture of the spleen, other blood tests together with hematologist consultation are needed. Hope it answered to your query! Take care! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: Is numbness in neck and aching pain in left arm caused due to herniated disc? 10 minutes later
My spleen ruptured 2 years ago. Does your answers still apply?
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Your pain related to herniated disc... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. If your spleen ruptured 2 years ago, you should keep following up regularly with a hematologist for further evaluation. If your spleen is cleared, then, all your problems are associated with herniated disc as mentioned earlier. All the best! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: Is numbness in neck and aching pain in left arm caused due to herniated disc? 1 hour later
sorry to bother you again. This will be my last question. I don't understand why you make reference to "if my spleen is cleared" ? It ruptured into pieces and it was completely removed during emergency surgery. Some pieces came off my stomach,etc where the surgeon said he had to scrap some of my spleen off some other ograns and he was worried about bleeding afterwards but it never happened. So, what steps are you talking about when you state "if spleen is cleared".
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Glad to know no complication after spleen surgery Detailed Answer: Hi back, Thank you for following in. You are saying that the surgeon was worried about bleeding afterwards. This is what I meant. As I did not have the data if the spleen was removed completely or partially and if you had any complications afterwards, I was assuming if "spleen is cleared" (with no problem). I am glad to come to know there is no complication, and I wish you won't also have problems in the future. Everything you are experiencing now is related to herniated disc. Wish you all the best! Dr.Sonila