Is normal calprotein stool test following incident of rectal bleeding indicative of no colon cancer?

Gastroenterologist
Question
i had a calprotein stool test recently following one incident of rectal bleeding and it came back normal. is that a god indicator that ther is no colon cancer please?
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Colon Cancer

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: HiXXXXX, I read carefully your query and I would like to say yes that fecal calprotectin is an indicator of colon cancer. The fact that your fecal calprotectin is normal is a good indicator that there is no cancer in your colon but the gold standart diagnosing colon cancer is colonoscopy. So, I would suggest to consult gastroenterologist for an accurate diagnosis . Hope it answer your query Wish you health Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: Is normal calprotein stool test following incident of rectal bleeding indicative of no colon cancer? 7 days later
I have strange feeling of rectal pressure (needting to go but nothing there) and worried it could be colon cancer. I had one incident of bright red blood 2 weeks ago but not since.

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for writing back and sending in more of your medical data. The strange feeling of rectal pressure could be related to being constipated. Having bright red blood in your stool are indicative for hemorrhoids which might have been caused by constipation. So, I suggest to consult GI specialist and proctologist and to run the following tests: - abdominal echo - to further examine the abdominal organs - colonoscopy - to check the presence of polyps or cancer - complete blood work to check out for anemia Meanwhile, I strongly suggest to avoid constipation through: - drinking more water - do not strain too long or hold your breathe while passing the motion - eat more fiber rich foods - take sena and/or lactulose to soften the feces All the best! Dr.Klerida