Is nipple and breast tenderness symptoms of Mirena?

Mar 2013
I've have the mirena for a little over a year and just recently in the past few months I've experienced tender and sore nipples, my boobs are fine.. its just mainly when I press in at the nipple area.. wondering if this is just symptom from the mirena??.. I haven't had my period since I've had the mirena..
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: COMMON SIDE EFFECT OF MIRENA Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Yes, nipple tenderness is a definite side effect of Mirena use. As long as you do not have any discharge from the nipple, pain or lump, do not worry. Nipple tenderness is very common during certain phases of the menstrual cycle, due to hormones, and quite common with Mirena too. Also, it could be seasonal, as cold weather exacerbates nipple sensitivity. A synthetic bra ( spandex or nylon ) or underwired bra could further worsen this. Probably vigorous stimulation / pinching while masturbating / intercourse could lead to such tenderness. As I said, there is no cause for concern, as it is commonly reported with Mirena. Try taking Vitamin E and evening Primrose oil supplements for 2 - 3 months, that should provide you with relief. Take care. Please feel free to discuss further.