Is niggling cough a sign of lung cancer?

my husband I waiting for a chest xray appointment, he has a niggling cough which has been there for a couple of months. He feels fine and is not tired or losing weight. He was spray painting lights I a confined space a couple months back and he cough is since then although he does smoke. He is just 50 and I am so scared he has lung cancer
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Xray will make picture clearer. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. Your husband is having cough since a couple of months. Considering the exposure to spray painting, there is a possibility of Reactive airway dysfunction syndrome, Hypersensitive pneumonitis or it could be early COPD or simple respiratory infection. 2. You need to get him evaluated by a Pulmonologist in detail. Pulmonary function test and Xray may be required initially. He may be prescribed a course of antibiotic if it seems to be an infective process. If its early COPD then inhalers may be required. 3. Wait for the Xray reports. Its less likely to be malignancy at this stage but being a smoker he will always be at a risk of lung cancer. 4. Its never too late too quit smoking. I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist