Ask a Urologist   »  

Is my urine analysis report normal ?

I am 5'2, 123 pounds, 64 years old. My urnalysis is as follows:
Color: XXXXXXX Appearance: clear, Specific Gravity(1) 1.005, pH(1)
6.5, Protein(1) 30 MG/DL, Glucose(1), Ketone(1), Bilirubin(1) all negative, Blood(1) 3+, Nitrite(1) negative, Urobioinogen(1) 0.2 MG/DL , Leukocyte Esteraase(1) negative, WBC(1) Occasional,
RBC(1) Loaded, Squamous Epithelial Cells (1) 5-10, Bacteria(1) none seen, Trichomonas(1) none seen, Mucus(1) none seen
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

The obvious question you have is most likely related to the fact that a large amount of red blood cells were seen in the urinalysis. I am not aware of the context in which in this urinalysis was requested which might be helpful in interpreting the results.

As far as red blood cells in a urinalysis there are a number of possible contributing factors. The first thing we must consider is some kind of infection in the bladder or kidneys. You would very likely have symptoms of this including fevers, chills and abdominal pain as well as discomfort with urination.

The next category we must consider is inflammation of the bladder. This can sometimes occur from time to time in a certain category of patients. This tends to be somewhat painful however.
The next category we must consider is some type of inflammatory process or some type of disturbance of the kidney function. This leads to some degree of inflammation and bleeding within the kidney which translates into a positive red blood cell finding in the urine.

The next obvious question is how to follow up on the results. Usually we would repeat the urinalysis to confirm the findings. In addition we might consider getting some type of imaging of the kidneys and bladder, including a possible CAT scan. This will give us an idea if there is some type of inflammatory process in the kidneys or in the bladder. All of these can be ordered and followed up by your response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga