Is my tongue purple due to trauma?

i must have bitten my tongue during sleep last nite,now is purple and a little bit of the whites of my eyes are red what do i do,thankspaul hello,ima 64yo male in good shape but last nite while sleeping i must have bit the side of my hurts today abd is somewhat purple and a little bit of redness of the whites of both this due to trauma and should i put ice on it,thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 10 hours later
Thanks for the query,

You have mentioned that your tongue is purple on one side and is sensitive. And, the whites of both your eyes are a little red in the corners.

Although rare, yet its possible that you might have bit your tongue during sleep. Or there could be blood clot due to other systemic reasons.

The best you can do is to apply some analgesic gel such as Dologel. This will relieve your pain.
It will take 3 - 4 days for the wound to heal. So be reassured.

Regarding the redness over the corner of eye.
Do you ave any itching/pain in eyes ?

Trauma will usually cause redness on one side. Quite unlikely to be due to that reason.

It can occur due to many other causes such as lack of sleep, irritation of eye with rubbing, poor sleep. If you do not have any pain or irritation, then, its likely to be a benign condition.

You can use lubricants drops like Murine tears for your eyes. This will sooth the eyes and reduce the redness.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran