Is my semen test result normal? Is an erect penis required for sperm ejaculation?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I am married from last 3 years and now me and my wife is planning for baby form last 4-5 months with no result.My wifes test is normal.. Doctor suggetsed Semene test for me.
Below is my Semene Analysis report. Can you please tell if this is normal?
During sample collection, while masturbating in hospital, my Penis was not at all erect and some how I managed to provide the sample, as I was feeling bit uncomfortable in hospital. After masturbate I could see that saple was not as thick as it used to be and its was very thin. Has it impacted my test result? Is it required to have penis in erect state for sperm ejaculation?
Kindly Suggest. Will another test help?
What is the best way to provide semene Sample, if i do the test again?
If the test is not normal, what is the way forward.I am based in India , Pune.
SEMEN TEST REPORT:
Volume: 05 ml
Color: Whitish
Liquification Time: 45 min
Viscosity: decreased
Reaction : Alkaline
Sperm Count: 2.28 millions/ml
RBC: Absent
Spermatogonia : 2-4/hpf
Active Motile: 60%
Sliggishly Motile: 10
Immotile: 30%
Morphology Normal: 80%, Pin head,Double headed: 20%

SK
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 24 hours later

I understand your concern.

The problems addressed are :
1.Sample quality
2. Physiological problem of erection
3.Report.

Since you have got the required semen sample for examination , the erect state of the penis or the thickness of semen does not matter.It has not impacted your test in any way.

The sample quality - can be a problem especially when you are asked to produce a sample the first time in a hospital environment.
If you stay near by you can request the lab if you can get it from home.
The physiological problem of erection too is related to the same.
You can discuss with your consultant and they will be able to help you with all these minor hitches you experienced.

Another sample can be produced as per the requirements of semen analysis after 3 -4 days of abstinence.

For a semen analysis, a fresh semen sample, not more than half an hour old is needed. Either their wife can help them to provide a sample - or they can see sexually arousing pictures or use a mechanical vibrator to help them get an erection.

The semen sample must be kept at room temperature; and the container must be spotlessly clean. If the sample spills or leaks out, the test is invalid and needs to be repeated. Except for liquid paraffin, no other lubricant should be used during masturbation for semen analysis - many of these can kill the sperms.

These are the normal values for semen during analysis.
Semen volume
Normal:
1.0–6.5 milliliters (mL) per ejaculation

Liquefaction time
Normal:
Less than 60 minutes

Sperm count
Normal:
20–150 million sperm per milliliter (mL)

Sperm shape (morphology)
Normal:
At least 70% of the sperm have normal shape and structure.

Sperm movement (motility)
Normal:
At least 60% of the sperm show normal forward movement.

Semen pH
Normal:
Semen pH of 7.1–8.0

Fructose level
Normal:
300 milligrams (mg) of fructose per 100 milliliters (mL) of ejaculate

The test reports show a low count and this can be assessed with your consultant .

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.