Is my niece suffering from chicken pox or measles?

I was wondering if the pictures of my niece is chicken pox or measles?
Posted Fri, 14 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Looks more like measles. Can't be sure Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. I have seen the pictures you have attached. I feel the rash looks more like measles at this time, but to be sure I would have to look the whole body up close. You can distinguish between measles and chicken pox. If these rashes go on to develop small blister like boils that rupture and crust, you can be sure that it is chicken pox, if the rash remains as it is and disappears then you can be sure that it is measles. Wait for it to mature and then you can compare with the description I have given, that will make it clear. I hope that answers your query, please feel free to write back if you have any additional questions for me. Wishing your niece a speedy recovery. Kind regards
Follow-up: Is my niece suffering from chicken pox or measles? 0 minute later
Is the treatment the same?
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 17 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, essentially the same. Detailed Answer: Hello, thanks again for writing back. Yes, the treatment is essentially same for both these conditions as both are self limiting viral diseases and don't require any specific treatment. The important aspect is, these infections result in a life long immunity. There are antiviral medicines available for treating Chickenpox, but that is not required unless you wish to reduce the duration of illness. Please talk to her pediatrician if you intend to limit the duration of illness. Hope this answers your query. Warm regards, P.S: Please accept the answer and rate it if you are satisfied.