Is my lump on forehead permanent after a head injury?

I sustained a head injury 5 months ago while playing soccer when i was head butted by another player. i had a rather large bruise and a black eye for several days and still to this day have a lump on my forehead about 2.5 cms in diameter and about half a cm high. it has an inner lumpy bit which is a bit hard but not bone hard, the rest is still a little squishy and is a little tender still. i have no headaches or anything like that. what is it and is it permanent?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hello.Injured area will heal and not permanent Detailed Answer: Hello.Welcome & thanks for writing us on XXXXXXX I have thoroughly read your query and deeply understand your concern. According to me the (harder)area is due to hardening of the soft tissue and this gradually resolves and becomes normal. Since the rest of the area is soft/squishy this might be due to collection of pus.I suggest you to consult your doctor and take his opinion since it requires examination. He may advise an ultrasound of the lesion to get an idea about the tissue in the swelling. If it is pus it may be drained after confirming with further tests. Do not panic you will be fine and these are never permanent and will heal. Hope this answers your query. Thanks.
Follow-up: Is my lump on forehead permanent after a head injury? 6 hours later
how long do you think it could take to completely dissapear?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi.Might take few more weeks. Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing back. The healing process is getting delayed because of the soft mass.If this is due to collection of pus then it has to be drained.Once the inflammation is resolved in this area it will heal(revert) within 1-2 weeks.Hope this answers your query. Get well soon.
Follow-up: Is my lump on forehead permanent after a head injury? 18 hours later
it doesn't feel squishy like pus. it feels more like soft tissue like a normal bruise would. how can I reduce the inflammation?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: May use hot/cold bag & counter-irritant gels Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing back to us. If you don't feel it's pus then you can try using a hot and cold bag (locally) for short periods 2 to 3 times a day. You can also apply analgesic gels/cream available as over the counter medications. The swelling should subside with this if it's due to local inflammation. A consultation with a surgeon may help. Hope this helps.