Is my increased heart rate related to splenomegaly?

I have minor thalaseamia and splenomagaly has been noted on my ultrasounds another symtom I have is fast heart rate over 100 beats per min could this be related to the splenomegaly normal ECG
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thalassemia minor can cause some splenomegaly Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for your query. Spleen size is often increased (not huge) in thalssemia minor as a compensatory phenomenon. It is not of concern, unless you have low hemoglobin (<10 g/dl). Splenomegaly will not cause high heart rates unless hemoglobin is low. Heart rate may be high because of anxiety or excess thyroid hormone dose or sometimes no cause is found. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Is my increased heart rate related to splenomegaly? 12 hours later
my heamoglobin has dropped from 106 t0 96 just recently
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 11 hours later
Brief Answer: This may cause the increased heart rate Detailed Answer: You may consult your hematologist about taking folic acid supplements which sometimes help in the anemia of thal minor.