Ask a Urologist   »  

Is my inability to retract the foreskin a reason for not being able to have sex properly?

Hi,My foreskin is not retracting.I am not sure how much of foreskin should be retracted.Is this also a reason for not able to have sex properly with my wife?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Hi Shivakumar ,

Thank you for the query,

If the foreskin of penis is not retracting ,which is called 'Phimosis', then obviously you would be getting difficulty in penetration. The penetration won't be smooth and may lead to cuts and injure your prepuceal skin.

As far as how much it should retract is, look at the coronal rim which you should take as a limiting line (i.e. the skin should go beyond the glans penis completely). In some patients we see that there is a very small opening resulting in ballooning of skin while urinating. That I would say is severe phimosis.

Now there are various reasons for phimosis. At times it starts right from infancy, when regular cleaning and retraction is not done from the beginning.

In adult hood again, poor hygiene might be the reason. Secondly at time people suffer from recurrent fungal infection which if partly treated can lead to phimosis. Diabetes should also be ruled out.

Any injury or accident over the genital area can lead to phimosis.

There can also be adhesion between the glans and the inner surface of prepuce which might lead to difficulty in retraction. At time there is a constrictive ring around the prepuce which might be the reason.

There is a condition called 'LICHEN SCLEROSUS', which is a autoimmune inflammatory condition in which there is de-pigmentation of foreskin with tightening of foreskin. The skin over the area is very dry in this case.

Forcible retraction of foreskin can lead to 'Paraphimosis', in which the foreskin is retracted till the rim of glans,but because of the tight constrictive ring it cannot be replaced back to the normal position over the glans.

So, it's important to rule out above such causes and then plan for treatment.

Treatment options would vary from topical creams to surgery(circumcision or fraenulotomy ), depending upon the severity and cause.

If you can tell me the details of your case, then probably I can guide you for the treatment.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries as-well'.

Follow-up: Is my inability to retract the foreskin a reason for not being able to have sex properly? 7 days later

The information you provided was really handy.My Foreskin is tighter however i believe it is not because of any de-pigmentation.Can you please suggest good topical creams for resolving this.Also I have started to use a jel "Xylocaine 2% jelly" while having sex.Is that OK and safe to use? As we are planning to have kid i am bit worried about this.Could you please help me out with this.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 4 hours later
Hi Shivakumar ,

There are lot of steroidal cream which are available which can gradually and slowly work .But if the constriction is more severe then probably a surgery only would help.
Xylocain gelly is just a local anesthetic gel ,it wont help in reducing the tightness.But it can help in prolonging the erection & ejaculation time by reducing the sensation over it.It makes the penis numb.It can also help as a lubricant.
I would suggest you to consult a surgeon and talk to him about circumcision.Its a safe and a simple procedure.

wish you good health.

Follow-up: Is my inability to retract the foreskin a reason for not being able to have sex properly? 13 hours later
Hi Dr.Chawda,

Thanks for your suggestion.It will be helpful if you suggest me a good Doctor in Bangalore.

Hi Shivakumar,

You can talk to the customer care at XXXXXXX asking them to suggest you a general surgeon (for surgery) or a dermatologist (for consultation) .The number is 080-0000.

Wish you good health.