Is my heavy congestion due to varicose vein surgery i had?

varicose vein surgery yesterday at 7:30 a.m. Congestion heavy but not able to eliminate. Have been relatively active ... walking; light housekeeping etc. Temperature 99.3

Thank you for your suggestions
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 43 minutes later
Hello Demafab,

Post varicose vein surgeries (Vein ligation or Stripping), it is common to have some congestion, bruising and swelling at the operated area and swelling of the associated veins.

But they should settle down and resolve over the next three to four weeks.

You should Keep the leg bandaged for several weeks following surgery.

For the first week sit with the feet elevated so that your heels are higher than your hips to aid the drainage of excess fluid from the tissues and assist healing.

Three times a day take a short walk (a few hundred yards will do, but more if you wish) to avoid stiffness of the muscles and joints. Start with five minutes each time, and slowly increase the time and distance covered each day.

Generally try to keep moving when standing, as this helps to reduce pressure in the veins and minimises the risk of thrombosis occurring. Slight discomfort is normal.

In case of any discomfort or pain taking a mild painkiller such as paracetamol (Tylenol) will be helpful.

The bandages and any stitches used will be removed by the end of the first week.

You might be able to return to work within one to two weeks of the operation.

I hope the information here is helpful.

Please feel free to consult me in case you have any doubts.

Dr Anvekar.