Is my gamma GT level normal?

hi . My gamma gt level is 53 . Is it XXXXXXX ? what does it signify
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

Gamma glutamyl transferase (GGT) is a hepatic microsomal enzyme and is increased in –

1)     Drug intake

2)     Alcoholism

3)     Hepatitis when other liver enzymes are also elevated

4)     Oxidative stresses secondary to infection, sepsis

In your case the SGOT (Serum Glutamic Oxaloacetic Transaminase) and SGPT (Serum Glutamic Pyruvate Transaminase) are also elevated. In view of the prior alcohol intake this could represent a resolving alcoholic hepatitis.

But one cannot rule out other causes of hepatitis like HBV (HCV (fatty liver. Hence get yourself tested for HBsAg (Hepatitis B surface antigen), anti HCV (anti Hepatitis C antibody), and an ultrasound abdomen.