Is my fasting blood sugar reading normal?

normal fasting blood sugar reading for a 4 and 1/2 year old african american boy 45 pounds reading 141
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Yes, your are right diabetes does run in families. His FBS reading does indicate the strong possibility of Diabetes Mellitus. Further typing whether NIDDM or IDDM would have to decided by the examining doctor with examination and other tests as required. And he would need prescription medicines further.

Get an appointment as soon as possible. Meanwhile, curtail sweets/sugar. Don't start sugar substitutes yet. Also get help with his diet plan with the attached nutritionist at the hospital. Diabetic kids need great support from parents. And can lead near normal lives provided medical care is timely and adequate.

Whats his height ? Need to calculate BMI.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.