Is my child suffering from pneumonia with cough and cold?

hello doctor.. my son is 8 months old.. from past 1 month he is suffering from cough n cold.. i consult our regular doctor regarding this.. she diagnosed pneumonia at first n gave 5-6 medicines to b given at one tym.. my son got relief.. but aftr some days same problm arised.. dctr gave him anothr 6 medicines dis tym including ambrodil-s, pulmoclear, omnacortil, trustyl-cd, zefu-cd, etc.. bt no relief he got.. then we consult anothr dctr... he told us there is no pneumonia this tym n gave roxid100 n rem-cc only.. n suggest for steaming also for 2 months regularly.. till the tym there is no result we found.. pls suggest me where we r lacking with our son.. waiting for your early response...
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get a pediatrician opinion for underlying disease Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Both of your doctor have given the antibiotics and cough tablets. Recurrence of symptoms may require search of any cardio respiratory disorder especially if child become cyanosed. Get them ruled out by a good pediatrician of your locality. Any upper respiratory tract infection like croup may also present like this. Another possibility may be asthma, if the child wheezes at night or if family history is suggesting it. Just look into your child's mouth and see whether tonsils are enlarged, or if pharynx are congested.... Inhaled steam may ease the symptom. Best wishes I
Follow-up: Is my child suffering from pneumonia with cough and cold? 3 hours later
thnx for ur concern.. i wnt to bring in your notice that my husband has the never ending problem of cough.. medicines do not react on his coughing.. but his coughing is allergic bt we are nt exactly sure that from which thing he has allergy? dctrs do not think my son has cough n cold due to this.. also as i discussed earlier also, can it be pneumonia again? and about respiratory disorder u told me, is it a concern to worry upon? please let me kno as i m the only person to take care of my son.. and also please tell me what precautions we should take to cure him from cold for next coming months..
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: May try amoxycillin-clavulanic acid plus azithromy Detailed Answer: Thanks for follow up. Children are vulnerable to extremes of temperature especially cold. In winter viruses do activate and may cause viral upper respiratory tract infection especially the bronchiolitis, which if persists for longer period may have superadded bacterial infection. usual symptoms of pneumonia in this age group are irritability, cough, fever, respiratory rate >50/min. Symptoms may not be apparent because he is taking antibiotic roxithromycin, paracetamol (in rem cc). First time I can't understand why your doctor gave cough suppressant (Trustyl CD) and expectorant (Ambrodil s) in same patient . What I feel here is you must give a combination of amoxicillin-clavulanic acid (20-40 mg /kg in two divided doses) plus azithromycin (because it has better respiratory penetration) 10 mg/kg daily along with ambrodil -s. Hopefully he will recover. Precautions: Avoid cold exposure, keep head covered(as majority of the body heat lost here), warm bath.... And lastly his father may have asthma. Ask him to go for a simple breathing test called spirometry to have an idea of this disease. Uncontrolled disease may lead to its persistence and even cardiac problem. If it is asthma, a simple inhaled bronchodilator rapidly relieves the symptom... Best wishes
Follow-up: Is my child suffering from pneumonia with cough and cold? 17 hours later
thnx again for ur kind advice.. i vl definitely take the precautions u suggested.. hopefully it vl work...
Answered by Dr. Satyadeo Choubey 41 hours later
Brief Answer: thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks and best wishes...