Is my child suffering from diarrhea and fever with chills caused due to H1N1?

My 15 year old daughter has experienced diarrhoea yesterday and today, as well as today at school she experienced feeling very hot (fever) and then chills. She feels ok now. A classmate was diagnosed with possible H1N1 yesterday. Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James -9 hours later
Brief Answer: unlikely to be the flu Detailed Answer: Hi,thanks for using healthcare magic Though it is understandable to be concerned regarding her possible exposure, based on the symptoms given, it is unlikely to be the H1N1 virus that caused your daughter's symptoms. H1N1 is a type of flu virus. At present, you stated that she is feeling better,the flu virus would produce symptoms for a lot longer. In addition, since it is a flu virus, there would normally be symptoms such as sore throat, cough, muscle aches and pain. Diarrhoea can occur as a result of the flu virus but normally in conjunction with the above symptoms. Diarrhoea can occur with other illnesses the most common are food intolerance or viral or bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract. The other causes are celiac disease, lactose intolerance, inflammatory bowel disease, hyperthyroidism. The fact that the illness lasted at 2 to 3 days makes flu unlikely and make it likely that is was related to a viral infection of the gastrointestinal tract. This would also cause a fever. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Is my child suffering from diarrhea and fever with chills caused due to H1N1? 10 hours later
The situation has progressed somewhat. My daughter lives away from home to attend a hockey school. She returned to school after Christmas break on Sunday XXXXXXX 5. She lives with the family of a teammate. The 17 yr old daughter of this family was confirmed to have H1N1 flu last night. My daughter is still having episodes of chills and fever with headache and liquid diarrhea. So far no respiratory symptoms. Should she see a dr?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: best for her to be seen Detailed Answer: HI Yes, if the symptoms are continuing she should see a doctor. In the absence of respiratory symptoms it is less likely to be the flu but persons present differently with illnesses. With her friend's diagnosis confirmed and her symptoms continuing, it would be best for her to be checked out