Is my bone mineral density in normal range?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
MY BMD IS1.007IN L1 L4 REGION
My total bmd is 1.08
my fat is 42,464 my age is 25 heigt 156cms female
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 hours later
Your bone mineral density is within the normal range both in the lumbar spine and in your body. There is nothing worrisome about this report.
This bone mineral density is usually assessed in correlation with the clinical signs and symptoms and physical examination. If there are no generalized body aches or back pain then there is nothing to be worried about.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Is my bone mineral density in normal range? 2 hours later
Along with this BMD i got my cardio respiratory fitness test which is 13.3 rated as very poor and the resting metabolic rate is 842 against normal values of 1389
Free t3 t4 is done and were normal pl comment

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

A low BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) with normal free T3 and T4 levels may be associated with hyperinsulinaemia or obesity.

The low score on cardio respiratory fitness test can also happen due to obesity and low BMR. A comprehensive evaluation along with physical examination and blood tests are needed to find out the exact cause.

Taking measures to reduce the body weight and regular exercise will be helpful.

Hope this answer is helpful.

Regards.

Follow-up: Is my bone mineral density in normal range? 3 hours later
I have also got test done on Insulin and it is in normal limits . It is the obesity which is causing problem Your analysis is perfectly in order . Please suggest some remedies to ensure that she should no t go to osteopaenic zone

To avoid osteopenia, a calcium XXXXXXX diet like milk and yogurt are advised along with a daily exercise regimen. A regular physical activity is the only way to keep the osteopenia at bay.

Wishing her a trouble free early recovery.

Regards.