Is my blood pressure reading high? Suffering from anxiety.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been suffering from anxiety and feeling stressed and bought a blood pressure. I am 32 and around 2.5 stone overweight. I have been measuring my blood pressure today and it averages around 130 / 70., although one reading after eating was 140/72

Is this to high?, do I have time to change and reduce this. I have started dieting and going to the gym, or is the damage already done.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Normal blood pressure usually rests at 120/80mmHg, but your blood pressure is 130/70 mmHg. Before coming to any conclusions it is advisable to note a few points first.

Blood pressure needs to be measured over a bare arm after the person is at rest for atleast 5 minutes in sitting position with feet on the floor. No stimulant like smoking, alcohol, caffeine, colas, etc. has been consumed since 30 minutes as well. Also the Blood pressure measurement needs to be repeated a few times during the day to confirm validity of the reading.
Honestly - 130/70 is excellent if not ideal as far as vital signs go. If you had symptoms of dizziness, headache, passing out etc I would be concerned. These numbers otherwise do not concern me.
A single reading of 140/72 after meals is also nothing to worry.
You can do some lifestyle changes to bring your numbers near the ideal level.
Try to avoid staying up nights, use good lighting at work, try to reduce stress by taking frequent breaks at work, get 6-8 hours of sleep daily, do Yoga, Pranayam for stress relief as well. Kindly refrain from smoking, using tobacco of any kind, avoid high calorie meals, avoid junk food, stick to a low salt diet, eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink enough water. Exercise daily by brisk walking daily for 40 minutes.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Follow-up: Is my blood pressure reading high? Suffering from anxiety. 20 hours later
I have had readings of 140/80 today and have had a weird fizzing sensation at the top of my head under my scalp for some time, although I had thought this was due to my anxiety.

I also occasionally have tiny blue dots in my vision which last a second and disappear.

I dont have headaches, dizziness or fainting.

Am I worrying to much, if I follow your suggestions should I be able to bring my BP down.

How long will it take to see a difference.

Thanks for writing again.
Your symptoms are more likely to be due to anxiety. Doing the lifestyle modifications will bring relief and will take 4-6 weeks to show the effect.
If the higher B.P. readings still persist then you need to consult your physician for a complete evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.