Is my blood pressure okay. Have ulcerative colitis. Dark stools with mucus, hard to pass gas and have bowel movement

Orthopaedic Surgeon
is 165 over 65 ok considering i have ulserative colitis and has been flaired for a week
i have mucus and dark/ balck stool, been kinda hard to pass gas and have a bowl movment
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
I presume that you are talking about your blood pressure readings. A blood pressure of 165/65 mm Hg is suggestive of a mildly raised systolic blood pressure for your age. An exacerbation of ulcerative colitis is not likely to cause this raise. The black stool that you are passing is suggestive a bleeding in upper Gastro intestinal tract. This bleeding might be aggravated in case of a raised systolic blood pressure.
You need to consult your physician for controlling the bleeding and gut inflammation. A mild anti hypertensive might also be needed in case the raised blood pressure levels are persistent.
Meanwhile the following life style modifications are needed:
a. Decrease your salt intake to less than 1 tsp a day
b. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables
c. Exercise daily ( you can walk/jog/skip/swim, whatever you prefer) for 50 minutes
d. Yoga, Pranayam and meditation help relieve stress
e. Avoid junk food
f. If the blood pressure is not controlled by the diet and exercise modification for a few weeks, you may need anti-hypertensive drugs. Half the battle involves diet and exercise modification which will be of great benefit in your case.
g. I would suggest that you consult your physician for repeated evaluation of your blood pressure and investigations like an Electrocardiogram (ECG) and kidney function tests.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.