Is my Vitamin B12 levels in the normal range?

My B12 level was 276, why is this considered low?...I am a 48 yrs old and female.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 46 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The values of B12 vary slightly between different labs.
The approximate range in the UK is 180-910. It can vary slightly between different labs. However, it is evident that this level is set too low. In Japan, the lower normal figure starts at 500 and, interestingly, Japan has a lower incidence of dementia, probably due to the fact that it treats anyone with a B12 level lower than 500. Research has shown that neurological damage can result from a B12 level lower than 400. However, this is only part of the picture. One can still be deficient despite displaying a normal serum B12 level as it only measures the total amount of cobalamin in your body, however, only a small portion of this (between 10-30%) is actually available for cellular uptake. In addition, a tissue deficiency can be caused by a genetic defect in the Methylation Cycle and, again, this would not be evident from a serum B12 test. A more accurate way of determining a B12 deficiency is to have both Homocysteine and Methylmalonic Acid levels checked.
Homocysteine is formed in body from methionine( an amino acid found in protein) in a process that can be blocked by VIT B 12.
endothelial dysfunction ( narrowing of arteries) which in turn is believed to be precursor of atherosclerosis.

So it is always better to keep your B12 levels in middle of the normal range.
In other words around 400 to 500.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.