Is my MIP and MEP result normal?

Question
My mip is 65%, and my mep is 44%. My nif is -48/-50. Im ter
rified. Is this really bad. Plz help.thx
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
MIP and MEP are tests for assessment of strength of respiratory muscles. In your case, both the values are below normal levels. A detailed clinical assessment is needed to assess the clinical significance of these tests in your case.
Please visit your pulmonologist to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Is my MIP and MEP result normal? 27 hours later
My dr said they were below normal, but didnt say how much. My mep was 103 and my mip 83. She said it was abnormal but didnt say how much. She said that it was 103 and should be 140. She told me to quit looking at the percentage and look at the real numbers. What do u see here. Mild, moderate or severe? Plz let me know asap thx... Matt

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
MEP anmd MIP should be more than 70% of the avearge value for a perticular age, sex and height.
In your case, both the values are considerably on a lower side. It is suggestive of a moderate compromise of the respiratory muscle function. Respiratory muscle exercises and quitting smoking will help in increasing these values.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Is my MIP and MEP result normal? 10 minutes later
Well the mip is 65% so thats not to low, but the mep is 44%. Im so afraid i have als. My neuro did an emg. It was normal. My mri was normal as well. I have no idea what to do. My muscles are weak, neck, arms, legs, and throat. He said u dont have als. He tested me for eton lambert, and it came back clear. Do u have any suggestions for me. Im so scared.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Hello.
Generalized muscle weakness at your age needs detailed investigations and a thorough examination to detect the cause.
I'm limited here with the inability to examine you, hence I'll not be able to give you more information regarding the possibilities.
It is best to consult a neurologist for proper treatment.
Best regards.

Follow-up: Is my MIP and MEP result normal? 1 minute later
Why my age. Is that rare? To have at my age

Generalized muscle weakness can happen at any age and it needs a detailed evaluation.
You can consult a neurologist for the same.
Regards.