Is more treatment required for vomitting due to chemotherapy?

My mother in law has just completed 4 weeks of radiation and 4 chemo treatments. She is vomiting and it is almost a bright XXXXXXX in color. Should she see someone?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 56 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Chemotherapy and radiation can both cause varying forms of gastrointestinal upset including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. These symptoms are typically more prevalent near the end of the therapy. I suspect her oncologist may have provided her with some medications such as Zofran or compazine or ativan to help with the nausea. If she is taking the anti-nausea preparations and still is having symptoms this is a cause for concern because she could become weak and dehydrated.

If she has these persistent symptoms and in your opinion if she appears weak and is not able to at least maintain decent hydration, I would contact her oncologist for further recommendations.

I hope this has been helpful for you and if you have followups I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert Galamaga