Is moderate drinking of bourbon fine in diabetes?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Is moderate drinking of bourbon OK from a sugar standpoint?...I want to keep my sugar intake low. Over the recent 4 weeks I have lost approx. 10 lbs. by carefully controlling portions and increasing my activity level. I probably drink around 2-3 oz. bourbon in the evening each day. I have cut out wine 100%.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Alcohol intake,including bourbon, doesnt have some significant effect on blood sugar levels if taken moderately so from this point it shouldnt worry you if you can limit it to 3 oz. Alcohol drinks are highly caloric but it doesnt mean that it raises blood sugar. However, if you have problems with sugar levels you should check it regularly and change your dietary habits. Of course, there are other bad effects of alcohol on liver,brain and kidneys so you should have that on minds if you decide to increase your daily alcohol intake. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards