Ask a Urologist   »  

Is moderate amount of bilirubin a sign of cystitis?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
I feel like I have a cystis (started this AM) I am a Lab Tech and I did a urine dipstick on myself. I found Mod amount of Bilirubin, Trace of Blood (intact) and Trace of Protien. I am most concerned with the Bili. Does this go with cystistis?
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please have another lab test for reassurance.... Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes, you are right, the dipstick results indicate for a possible urinary tract infection, with kidney starting to suffer (as you have traces of protein). The trace of blood would be related to laceration of urinary tract pathways due to infection or due to any urinary tract stone (while moving). With regards to moderate amount of bilirubin, I'd suggest to run a lab urine analysis lege artis as sometimes dipstick testing could give false positive results, especially when there is blood in urine. Furthermore, you should check for the levels of bilirubin (conjugated) in the blood before running into conclusions. At the end, I suggest to start: - immediate treatment with oral antibiotics - magnesium/zinc citrate to optimize the pH of the urine (thus, alleviating your symptoms) - take fern stone/cranberry/uva-ursina/rosa canina tea - drink plenty of water I also suggest to do abdominal ultrasound to check for probable stones in the urinary/kidney pathways together with a microscopical examination of the urine to check for crystals, leukocytes and erythrocytes. Wish fast recovery! Dr.Sonila