Is microtia heredity?

I have microtia..means my one ear is smaller than the other..but hearing ok. My pregnant daughter's ears are totally normal and she has no defects. But, is there a chance that her baby might have this hereditary ? No one else in my family have it..
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Genetics
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. wait and watch. Detailed Answer: Solitary ear anomalies are more of spontaneus genetic errors than as hereditary or transmissible defects. so relax. You may confirm to some extent by sonography of fetus during pregnancy.. but having known it in advance as the only problem is not going to give it any therapy. so its better to wait and watch as there is high chance that it will not recur in family unless as an accident. there may be a chance if you get your genetic map karyotype done and find it abnormal.
Follow-up: Is microtia heredity? 46 minutes later
Thank you very much for the reply. So it means chance of recurrence is very low ..especially because my daughter has no microtia i guess there is nothing much to worry ?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes. low. Detailed Answer: Its likely to be low. But practically after birth it will be yes or no. Chance and percentages For individual cases are either zero or hundred.