Is methadone intake for pain relief safe when allergic to opiates?

I have been encouraged by a palative care giver to use methadone for pain relief. I am allergic to most of the opiate narcotics that are given for pain. She told me I could successfully take methadone as a pain reliever. under a Doctor's care. I just got out of the hospital after 4 days of trying to find a pain reliever to cover my chronic pain. I have a pain level of 5 to 6 most of the time, with spikes up to 8 to 9. Can you give me some incite into this can of treatment for pain.
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Attend a pain clinic. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. At a pain level of 5-6 you can get relief with strong non opioid pain killers like naproxen or piroxicam. Adding oral muscle relaxants can also help in reducing the pain. Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches. You can attend a pain clinic for proper prescriptions. If none of the above measures are helpful, pain specialist have used low dose tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentins or other anticonvulsants for modifying the intensity of perceived pain. This is also an option available which can be tried. Discuss with your doctors to prescribe the medications if needed Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL