Is metallic taste,mild nausea and decreased appetite after a bypass surgery related to heart?

metallic taste, mild nausea, decreased appetite, bypass surgery 6 years earlier. Is this Heart related?
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Problems apparently due to ecosprin's side effects Detailed Answer: Hi Friend, Thanks for your query. Your symptoms are not related to the heart, but are suggestive of blood-thinners' induced gastritis (erosion of inner lining of the stomach and duodenum) with possible Gastro-esophageal-reflux-disease (GERD) and stomach infection (by a bacteria called H.pylori) which is causing your symptoms. Blood thinners, particularly ecosprin, is highly irritant to the delicate inner lining of the stomach and duodenum. Also, a prolonged use of ecosprin can damage the kidneys (called Analgesic Nephropathy). The symptoms of kidney damage are similar to that of yours. Consult your doctor/gastroenterologist and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Col (Dr.) Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: Is metallic taste,mild nausea and decreased appetite after a bypass surgery related to heart? 14 minutes later
Could Coumadin 5 mg and 2 81ASA have the same effect because I'm not quite sure what escoprin is?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ecosprin is ASA Detailed Answer: Coumadin is an anti-coagulant (and does not fall under the category of blood thinners), that is, it prevents blood from clotting. ASA is acetyl salicylic acid, also called aspirin. Ecosprin is the Brand name of aspirin. Hence, both : Coumadin and ASA have a high risk of causing bleeds. So, possibility of silent bleeding in the stomach cannot be ruled out, as the symptoms are similar to those of yours. Please get stools checked up for occult blood to rule out/detect stomach bleeding. In case the stools are POSITIVE for occult blood, please consult your treating doctor IMMEDIATELY. Take care, Dr. (Col) Rakesh Karanwal