Is meprate recommended to delay periods while travelling?

My period due date is 26th December and I want to postpone this by atleast a week since I am traveling around that time. I calculated my ovulation dates and it is around 12th December. Can I take Meprate to delay the period by a week as required?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 5 hours later

You have provided me with good information.
You periods are due on 26th December and you want to delay it by a week.

Using Meprate won't delay your periods. It is used in women to treat abnormal menstruation (periods) or irregular vaginal bleeding. It is used to bring on a normal menstrual cycle in women who menstruated normally in the past but have not menstruated for at least 6 months. If you take this tablet you will get your periods at the regular time.

You should instead take tablets containing Norethisterone which will help you delay periods. You should take these 2 to 3 days before your expected date of menstruation and continue till the date you want to stop. You should get this prescribed by your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Is meprate recommended to delay periods while travelling? 7 hours later
Is Norethisterone not available Over the counter? Also how much should I take per day?
Answered by Dr. Radhika 17 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Norethisterone is not available over the counter, it is a prescription medicine and should be prescribed by your doctor.
The tablets are to be taken till the date you want to stop. Stopping the therapy causes a hormone withdrawal which in turn leads to bleeding.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have no further queries please accept my answer.